12.23.2008
2008: Well, At Least You Were Memorable
We saw some serious juxtaposition in '08 -- great hope and hopelessness at once. The nation patted itself on the back for electing Barack Obama and found great joy in the superhuman Michael Phelps. But the hopelessness over the financial meltdown and its consequences makes America seem like a dystopia, sometimes. My daily obsession with the march to November 4 -- "bitter", "real America" and "sniper fire" included -- made the year seem like it was over faster than you can say "You Betcha".

But Britney's back, bitches, at least for now. Which means we can all hope 2009 is our Michael Phelps year.

The 67 Degrees tradition, my year in rewind:

A Big Scoop: Thanks to my relentless sourcework (aka daily begging), the Obama folks made me the only TV reporter in Texas to get a face-to-face one-on-one interview with the man who would become president. Due to security concerns (and perhaps a subtle message about what they thought of me), the interview happened in a bathroom.

Personal Fad: This is an easy one, 67 Degrees readers. Being OUTRAGED, of course!

Random Celebrity Meet and Greets: Brad the Bachelor, Lance Armstrong (without pants), Kate Walsh, Kevin Nealon and let's not forget The Rev. Jesse J@ckson, who then proceeded to ask me back to his hotel.

Great '08 Distractions: Watching Mad Men and then promptly reading Alan Sepinwall's review of the episode as soon as it popped up online... Checking Nate Silver's genius polling site, fivethirtyeight.com... GTalk... the woman who peed all over herself at the Willie concert.

Recurring Theme: Marriage, babies. A lot of people in my orbit seem to be getting married or popping out babies or both. Meanwhile, I still feel like a kid who doesn't know what to be when I grow up. (And as a wedding-related bonus, my man Stiles' longtime live-in ex-girlfriend Lynda got married on reality TV.)

Noteworthy Discoveries: Friday night carbo-loading, Mob Wars, Mad Men on demand, long lost diaries from my youth, Stuff White People Like

Disappointments: The shrinking capitol press corps, my shrinking retirement fund. The Governor's Mansion getting torched by an arsonist. Not getting a photo with Newsweek's Richard Wolffe when I had the chance.

Happy Places: In the fall, going back to both my alma mater and my mom's home island fed my soul. In a twist of great fate, mom's scary tumor was benign, and the whole family had a great time finding humor in the hospital and the situation.

Most OUTRAGE-inducing people of 2008: Mark Penn. "Mainstream Media" bashers. Heidi Montag.

Biggest Victory: Nine dudes, one of them a sports reporter, let me into their Fantasy Football league as the "token chick". As it turns out, my early (and perhaps fated) decision to pick up DeAngelo Williams of the Carolina Panthers launched me into the Fantasy Superbowl.

Previously in this series...
2007: Rewind
2006: The Best of Times, The Weirdest of Times
2005: A Jack Look Back
2004: More Year in Review
Posted by E
| Link to this post | 1 comments |





Email Me
My Profile

Blog Button...



    By the DMAs
    1.New York
    Protz
    2.Los Angeles (but traveling)
    Jayna
    3.Chicago
    Jason
    5.Dallas-Fort Worth
    Dan
    Jimmie
    Seymour
    Wongton
    6.San Francisco
    Hasser
    7.Boston
    Channing
    Jonathan
    Josh
    10.Houston
    Lil' Lost Robot
    Matty
    12.Phoenix
    Erica
    14.Seattle-Tacoma
    Thomas
    34.Cincinnati
    Jay
    36.Greenville-Spartanburg
    Brad
    Cinlach
    Grayson
    Michelle
    Sappy Chick
    47.Jacksonville
    Garvin
    49.Austin
    Political Junkie
    73.Toledo
    Maureen
    79.Columbia, SC
    Doug
    Will's Ladies
    137.Columbia-Jefferson City
    Wohleber
    141.Beaumont-Port Arthur
    Mark Hancock
    150.Anchorage
    Matthew
    Foreign Bureaus
    Jason (Hong Kong)

    You are visitor #...

    Free Hit Counter
    Free Counter

    Blogroll Me!
    Site Feed
    Add to Google



    Listed on BlogShares



     View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


    Who Links Here