6.14.2007
Big Men on Campus
All anyone needs to enjoy the state legislature is a strong stomach, and a complete insensitivity to the needs of the people. -Texas Observer, 1971
Texas Monthly released its best and worst legislators of 2007. On the worst list, the Lt. Gov, the House Speaker, and the Governor, even though he's not technically a legislator.

I wouldn't dare make a best/worst ranking myself. Instead, some of the men I consider most memorable:

Scott H0chberg, D- Houston
His moppy white hair and glasses look may be a little out of style, but his lack of fashion sense belies his political sense. The guy's some sort of super genius, you know, those ones who are so super genius that it's hard to relate to people? That's him.

Jerry M@dden, R-Richards0n
Jerry (seen in the gray suit) reminds me of everyone's Uncle that we only see at Thanksgiving. In fact, I took to calling him "Uncle Jerry" behind his back. One day, when I approached him on the floor, I accidentally slipped and called him that to his face. After that, he started referring to himself in third person as Uncle Jerry. (photo credit AP)

T0mmy Merritt, R-L0ngview
If the lege is high school, Tommy (w/the pom poms) is the guy who always has the beer hookups. He walked around the floor handing out hot green wristbands to the ladies he liked, so they could get in free to the clubs where he would throw late night parties.
He's always kinda drunk, and always kinda sweaty, but always a riot. (photo credit Pink Dome)


Speaker Tom Cr@ddick, R-M!dland

Imaginary conversation, but I think it says it all
Member: Parliamentary inquiry
Craddick: State your inquiry
Member: Could I go to the bathroom
Craddick: I will not recognize you for that motion
Member: I really need to go, I move to overrule your ruling
Craddick: I didn't make a ruling, I simply didn't recognize you
Member: Parliamentary inquiry
Craddick: State your inquiry
Member: Puedo ir el bano?
Craddick: That is not a proper parliamentary inquiry.

Yeah, watching these guys run state government is my job. I have a pretty sweet job.
Posted by E
| Link to this post | 2 comments |





Email Me
My Profile

Blog Button...



    By the DMAs
    1.New York
    Protz
    2.Los Angeles (but traveling)
    Jayna
    3.Chicago
    Jason
    5.Dallas-Fort Worth
    Dan
    Jimmie
    Seymour
    Wongton
    6.San Francisco
    Hasser
    7.Boston
    Channing
    Jonathan
    Josh
    10.Houston
    Lil' Lost Robot
    Matty
    12.Phoenix
    Erica
    14.Seattle-Tacoma
    Thomas
    34.Cincinnati
    Jay
    36.Greenville-Spartanburg
    Brad
    Cinlach
    Grayson
    Michelle
    Sappy Chick
    47.Jacksonville
    Garvin
    49.Austin
    Political Junkie
    73.Toledo
    Maureen
    79.Columbia, SC
    Doug
    Will's Ladies
    137.Columbia-Jefferson City
    Wohleber
    141.Beaumont-Port Arthur
    Mark Hancock
    150.Anchorage
    Matthew
    Foreign Bureaus
    Jason (Hong Kong)

    You are visitor #...

    Free Hit Counter
    Free Counter

    Blogroll Me!
    Site Feed
    Add to Google



    Listed on BlogShares



     View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com


    Who Links Here